I’ll give you two posts this week since I’ve been slacking. I am so obsessed with this recipe it’s not even funny. I love the Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burgers but as I’ve said before, I like making things myself and these black bean burgers adapted from Skinnytaste are amazing! I’ve tried quite a few recipes and this is the best one I have found, by far.
- 16 oz can black beans
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes, or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- squirt of Sriracha
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- Wash and drain the black beans, try to get as much water out as you can. Mash the bean with a potato masher until they form a paste. You don’t need to mash every bean, just most.
- In food processor, combine pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic. Process until well blended, then add egg, oats, cumin, and Sriracha. Process until very well blended.
- Combine bean mixture and mixture from the food processor, mix well.
- Spray a cupcake tin with cooking spray and drop heaping spoonfuls of mixture into each depression. Fill only 1/3 of the way up the cup. When all mixture is used, cover tin with plastic wrap and freeze for no more than 24 hours.
- Once burgers are frozen, pop out of cupcake tin, stack in a freezer safe dish and place back in freezer until ready to eat.
- When you are ready to eat the burgers, heat up a skillet and pour in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Place burgers directly from freezer into hot oil.
- Flip when browned on one side. Be careful, they might start to break loosen up when hot.
These cook up quickly and taste great, another wonderful thing to keep in your freezer for when you just don’t have the time or energy to cook. In the picture, I served my Sriracha mayo over them and had corn as a side dish.